Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Southwest Airlines is Gay Friendly, But Not Child Friendly

A coincidental update to Undercover Marketing about Southwest Airlines.

A 14 year old relative is coming to visit and is flying in on Southwest Airline. While perusing their website to find out about travel assistance for a child I found all about their partnering with the gay community which I wrote about prior to this.

It appears Southwest is anxious to continue enhancing the travel experience of the gay and lesbian community and have dedicated a web site to feature great gay-friendly destinations, events and special offers throughout the year. How nice.

I called the airlines when I couldn't find anything about assistance for an unaccompanied minor on their web site. I was informed that Southwest does not offer such a service and that I should have an adult fly with the child or at least have child who is competent to read signs and get from gate to gate. How nice.