Friday, January 11, 2008

No Swearing Damn It

But if I go outside, I might offend the smokers
St. Louis-area town considers proposal that would ban swearing in bars

What the ...? A St. Louis-area town is considering a bill that would ban swearing in bars, along with table-dancing, drinking contests and profane music.

City officials contend the bill is needed to keep rowdy crowds under control because the historic downtown area gets a little too lively on some nights.

So, this law would give law enforcement another tool to control the uncontrollables, if they choose. Does that mean selective enforcement, say like hearing the other way when an off duty buddy swears after one drink too many Boiler Makers or arresting a person the cop just doesn't like the looks of over a damn or hell?

I am a big fan of the police. I am not a big fan of the police as judge over which laws to enforce or not enforce. I am no fan of cheap suit feel good laws that aren't meant to be uniformly enforced.

Under this law, if I was a cop, I would make mass arrests for any bartender, owner or customer that played Nine Inch Nails. I hate crappy music.