Friday, July 13, 2007

FUGLY or Architectural Heresy


The first time I went to the Guggenheim Museum in Manhattan I was really excited. I had heard all about it, seen photographs and was totally stoked to see it.

Ugh. The exterior did not live up to its hype, but the exhibition space inside was so wrong from every aspect.

The building stole from the art and it gave back nothing to art. The light, the wall shapes and the floor in the main entrance building could destroy Mona Lisa's smile.

The Guggenheim is unique, but the art and building are like a couple that love each other so intensely, but are not a match. They eventually only find each other's fault.

The Dean of the Art Department where I attended college became a good friend of mine. When I first gave this explanation to him he cried "Heresy" and if he reads this now he will shake his head and whisper "heresy" twice, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.