Saturday, May 26, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend and The Troops

This is something I try to always do. When there is no drink or food involved, without making a big deal out of it, I shake hands and thank them for their service.

Instapundit said: Last night while hanging out in the bar with Rand Simberg and Dale Amon (of Samizdata), I saw some British soldiers at the other end. I had the waitress send them a round of drinks. She wasn't supposed to tell them who did it, but apparently those guys are good at extracting information and their CO came over to say thanks. He said that it meant a lot to his men: they don't get a lot of support from the public in Britain and that they like it when they're in the U.S. for training, etc., because the American public is more supportive. I thought that was kind of sad, actually, but I was glad to do something for them. When I'm out and see military folks I often try to pick up their tab anonymously; this is the first time someone's blabbed. I encourage InstaPundit readers to do the same if the mood strikes you. I think it's appreciated, and not just because of the free food or drink.

If you haven't yet done this, Memorial Day Weekend is as good a time as ever to start. Thank them for their mission too. That way you won't be mistaken for a "troop supporting" Democrat or Ron Paul Libertarian.