Friday, November 17, 2006

Wayne Woodrow Hayes, aka "Woody"

"I'll never forget how tough that guy was. I was a graduate assistant, 21 years old, and ... we lost to Michigan that year, 7-0. We went back home, and Woody called a meeting at his house. We're all sitting there in his house and he's got the projector. Now, you understand back in those days, we're talking 16-millimeter film. And he has this projector on there and he's running it back and forth. I'm sitting in the back of the room staying out of the way and he's getting madder and madder. And suddenly, he picked up that projector and threw it. And he said, 'I won't subject the people of Columbus to football like that.' I'll never forget that" - Former Michigan coach and OSU assistant Bo Schembechler on Woody Hayes, his later friend and rival.


27 hours and 45 minutes