Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Screams Of My Father



On the Obama-Biden campaign’s website, the Letter of the Week is from a woman named Brittany. She writes:
Hello! My name is Brittany and I live in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania. I am 25 years old (but I will be 26 on October 3rd!). I am a registered Democrat and I have been voting since I was 18. I am one of the 47% of Americans who fall under Mitt Romney’s definition of “entitled” and “unable to take responsibility for my life.” I have Down syndrome.
There is so much that is heinous about Brittany being used for political gain in this way, but let’s start with the obvious thing, which is that neither Mitt Romney nor anybody running for office under the Republican banner is suggesting doing anything that would hurt her.

The sins of the father vs the sins of the son, etc. That a campaign can so easily get away with such a stunt is problematic, to say the least, for our country. Suggesting shame would only be met with sneers and doubling down in that order, by first the media and then the campaign. It makes one want to scream. In vain, but scream.