Michelle Obama spoke of Barack’s rusted out car, his dumpster diving for furniture and how their families “just scraped by.” I call BS.
- · Michelle went to Whitney Young, the public magnet school for Chicago’s upper class.
- · Barack attended Punahou, the private prep school for the top stratum of Hawaiian society.
- · They were accepted to Ivy League schools despite undistinguished credentials, and both attended Harvard Law School.
- · Their combined income from cushy law firm jobs dwarfed the repayments as Barack also enjoyed a second salary from the University of Chicago.
- · The $277,500 two-bedroom condo they bought in 1993--a high price even by today’s standards.
- · In 2005 they moved into their $1.65 million mansion in Hyde Park--with the help of fraudster Tony Rezko.
- · Barack Obama was elected to the U.S. Senate, he obtained a $1 million earmark for the University of Chicago Hospital--and his wife’s salary as Vice President for Community Affairs jumped from $121,910 to $316,962. Her job: pushing poor, uninsured patients to other hospitals.
I can point to my 1959 rusted out Ford Fairlane with its mystery shifter and my crappy furniture with no legs and smelly ripped fabric in crappy apartments. Yes, I can say that while leaving out that I also had the benefit of loving well off parents that sent me to private schools. It’s all in how you frame it as well as what you leave out.
Oh, about the low rent apartments with dumpster diving furniture, it’s called college and early marriage. And I actually have relatives that fondly remember my parents secretly, to avoid embarrassment, eating nothing but beans so I could go to private schools. The only problem is, just like Michelle’s remembrances, it isn’t true.