Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tornadoes

Tornado sirens have been intermintently for about 40 minutes here. The dogs are attached to my legs and the barometric pressure (?) is playing havoc with my head.

As a child I would travel with my father to devastated areas hit by tornadoes. My main job would be to keep him awake as he never knew how long we would be there. Yep, all the stories of straw inbedded like nails in walls are true. A famer's wife hysterical because she was holding her husband's hand as they ran for cover and then, he was just gone. The sadness of the scenes still lay within me. My father, a veteran of WWII, would be a doctor, priest and counselor to these people, but on the way home would pull to the side of the road and sob. These were moments that held us together later.

I am praying for those in the most dangerous areas surrounding our small community. While we are protected by terrain they are not.

The sound of the horns, though a wonderful warning, is so mournful.