Thursday, July 03, 2008

Reflection Of A Black Republican

Racism does exist in America. It isn't what we have been led to believe, but it exists.

THE POLITICS OF BLACKNESS: Black Republicans unfairly marginalized, demonized and vilified
When I was a Democrat, I never paid much attention to the negativity hurled at black Republicans. That’s probably because I never bought into the habit of gossiping about people or calling them names.

My main focus had always been about people’s deeds – whether positive or negative. I judged people by what they did, not by whom they were.

So it came as a culture shock when I switched to the Republican Party – mainly because of how other people began to treat me.

Here I was the same person, but with a different political perspective brought on by what I saw as hypocrisy in the way the black community was treated by the Democratic Party.

No longer was I “one of us.” I was now “one of them.” And then I saw the reality of viciousness. I even wrote a poem titled, “Why Do You Call Me Names?” published in 2000.

Read the rest. It is an echo of what I have heard for years. Many friends will not openly be Republican, in fact, they avoid the subject of politics completely, because they don't need the grief. A black being Republican is more afield to a Democrat than believing that Israel has a right to exist.

Talk about being disenfranchised.