Saturday, March 22, 2008

Christians That Do Not Understand Christianity

"In order to be sensitive to the physical, intellectual, and emotional development of preschoolers, First Look has chosen not to include the Easter story in our curriculum. Instead, we are focusing on the Last Supper, when Jesus shared a meal and spent time with the people He loved. We have made this choice because the crucifixion is simply too violent for preschoolers. And if we were to skip the crucifixion and go straight to the resurrection, then preschoolers would be confused."



Maybe if more Christians just put away that whole "Jesus just wants to be my friend" schtick they might get a tad closer to Christianity. I don't want to bill myself as a scholar (I am most assuredly not) or even a particularly good Christian ( I try), but Jesus wasn't looking to find buddies when he was chasing the money changers from the temple. When I was a child the story of the crucifixtion and the resurrection did not scare me, it spoke a solemn and then joyful truth that gave me purpose.